Monday 29 October 2007

A little more about moi

I have always had half completed stories, scripts and articles shoved in the bottom of
our ottoman but my passion was re-ignited when the 2007 Miss Write Competition was
announced. I sent off my first 3000 words of the opening pages of a novel and obsessively
checked my email every day until the winners were announced. Then I cried.

"What is this your new thing then?" my other half mocked, his piercing words suggesting that
I never stick to anything for longer than the honey period of a new relationship. He has a
small point I have had a fair few jobs over the years but lets face it no matter how you dress
it up a boring office job is just that - boring. Everybody seated at their desks all day pretending
to be official and energetic to clients needs over the telephone. The reality is they are sat there arguing over who will take the next call, planning their one hour lunch breaks from ten
in the morning whilst dropping biscuit crumbs on the oh so important financial report that has
to divert the attention away from the fact that half the budget has been spent on team away days in the local 5 star hotel and super soft, executive leather chairs for those claiming to have back problems.

Well I am fed up but I am still here because, quite frankly I have no other choice. Unless all the bloggers out there want to contribute generously for a collection that would allow me to stave off the debt collectors for the next year so I can really get to grips with my writing. Now that would make headline news. Since the competition I have tried to complete the novel ( I am 24 thousand words in and determined to finish ) but seriously I have a very demanding other
half who's voice is constantly whining in the background, a moody and equally demanding 9 year old daughter and a very naughty ( no seriously ) 14 month year old daughter. And did I mention the very important job with the government ( ha ha ) and our two cats, one of which is expecting. Maybe there is another blogger out there who has twice as many children and a small sanctuary of animals who managed to complete their book in three months. But me ? I am struggling and I am absolutely, positively sure that I want to write and nothing else.

I said I would book a Writers Holiday to help shape my talent and be in a more peaceful and
productive environment. "So you can run off with some fancy writer and never come back" the
other half said.

1 comment:

Dani said...

hellooo

I found you via your comment on Cally's blog :) I look forward to reading more of yours! Maybe you can put up a word count on your page; it really did encourage me to keep writing, seeing the word count and % of the whole novel going up from week to week!

24,000 words is really good - keep going!

Dansi